Sunday, February 28, 2021

FInally the smoking gun- rod bearing in cylinder 1

 When fixing things, especially if you are not 100% positive on your diagnosis, it's common to take it apart until you find something that looks broken and then fix it.  It's always my worry that I'll take everything apart and never actually find anything broken...  

 That's actually what happened the first time I did that with a bad starter motor.  I took it all apart, looked at each piece, and then put it back together.  Danged if it actually worked after that...  As it turns out it was simply all gummed up and by taking it apart and putting it back together I did indeed fix it...   that was a learning experience!

For this engine, though, it was knocking really badly.  And lo and behold, once the head was off, we could do a pretty definitive diagnosis!  Here's a 43-second video.



No comments:

Post a Comment