Sunday, March 7, 2021

More disassembly- motor upside down!

 In order to progress to the next stage I had to source another pair of bolts to re-mount the engine to the stand, as the original lower bolts I had were bolted into the oil pan, which is more substantial and referred to as the "crank case with oil pan" by the Isuzu manual.  These new bolts were M12 with 1.5mm thread pitch, also uncommon so had to be mail ordered...  

But now this weekend I've got the bolts, re-mounted the motor on the stand, turned it over (with the requisite dripping of oil and coolant- ugh.  At least I expected it and caught most of it but it was still messy).

And here's what I found:

But one of the more remarkable things about opening up the oil pan is what was in there that never drained out during the regular oil changes.  There was a bunch of junk in there- not all of it parts of the shredded bearing:

Lots of gunk in there.  Some hard, some soft...  Kind of amazing, really.  A lot of it was sucked up against the pickup screen of the oil pump.  

So, next will be to pull the pistons and actually look at the crankshaft journals to see how much damage there is. But first step is to pull the cam and then the front timing plate.  But the cam is giving me trouble- you can see here that I've removed the 6 bolts from the oil seal retaining plate, but it still won't budge.  Will have a hunt around the web to see if there's any help! 

[edit- I went back a couple of hours later and got it out- just needed to be more confident with my pulling and prying!]





No comments:

Post a Comment